Famous last words and all that… I did actually end up having to visit my allergist. Friday morning (my second-to-last day of antibiotics) I woke up with excruciating sinus pain and pressure. Not too much congestion, but my face hurt. I cried uncle (again!) and called up my allergist to beg and plead to be squeezed in for a sick visit. They cautioned me that I’d have to wait and I did indeed do that. A full hour after my appointment time, I finally saw her, but it was well worth the wait.
Basically, I (and the doctor on demand) did everything right, but my sinus infection turned into a chronic one. Essentially, think of the infection in my sinuses like an onion (ewe) that was so powerful and rapidly multiplying that the antibiotics were only able to clear the top layer while the underlying layers grew thicker. The antibiotics just couldn’t keep up. So, I got another round of antibiotics (a different type and a longer regimen) as well as 15 days worth of steroids to keep everything open and able to drain.
I think it’s going well! I’ve had a lot more drainage over the past 24 hours or so (ewe, again, I know). I’m just hoping to really kick this infection this time. One of my friends mentioned that this was the turning point for sinus surgery for her twenty years ago or so. She had a chronic sinus infection that two rounds of antibiotics couldn’t touch and voila! Bought herself a ticket for surgical correction. I… really don’t want that option. So cross your fingers for me!
In other news, we’ve had a fantastic weekend around here. The dumpling got a hair cut and behaved awesomely! I was super unsure of how it would go because he woke up from his nap in the WORST mood. An hour afterwards and he wasn’t any better but I had to just pack him up and take him. I spent the car ride listening to wails and formulating my apologies to the stylist. Then, miraculously, it went fine. He was even smiling by the end! And she used two types of clippers on him! Stupendous! Incredible!
We rode on that high all the way through Target while I picked up some supplies to make impromptu banana bread. I got so many compliments on him as he was an absolute charmer throughout the store: picking up items that had fallen off shelves, being so exuberantly excited that we were getting potatoes, chatting up the older couple in the checkout lane in front of us. Words other people used to describe my child while we were at Target: adorable, charming, the best personality. It was excursions like this that make parenting worthwhile. Then we came home and I made marbled banana bread (recipe courtesy of the genius Smitten Kitchen and yes it is delicious).
Today, we’ve had brunch and played at an indoor playground and watched Daniel and played with flashlights and firefighter hats and just generally had a really awesome time.
And now for a bit more personal news: I think I’m ovulating.
So here’s the thing. I was testing for ovulation regularly like two weeks ago, as you know. They got really close to positive and then just. Didn’t. LH levels dropped. Nada. I figured that I probably just didn’t ovulate. Not exactly suprrising to have an anovulatory cycle following a miscarriage, so I really didn’t think much of it. I saw my doctor on Friday for my Well Woman’s visit and we chatted about it. He said I could probably expect my period in 1-4 weeks, though I was secretly fairly confident I could expect it early next week.
Then, this morning, while we were at the indoor playground of all places I had to excuse myself to go check on things. I was sure my period had started, but instead I found… well… a lot of cervical fluid indicative of peak fertility. So I came home and took another test and it was overwhelmingly positive. I’m definitely ovulating.
So here’s the trouble. My OB/GYN advised that I should have a full menstrual cycle before trying to conceive. However, if we do that, we’ll only get one more chance to conceive before we have to wait (self-imposed because of our own reasons, but still). But, I also just finished talking about how I’m on an extended round of steroids (not advisable) and antibiotics (ok but not ideal) and then I’ll need decongestants (a definite no-go). All of these pros and cons and I’m totally undecided as to whether we should try for it this time.
If I could guarantee that we’d repeat our luck next time – that I would for-sure conceive – then I would wait. Might as well get my health back in order (though there’s obviously no guarantee that I wouldn’t get another sinus infection or need decongestants later in the season… I needed them for the entire month of May last year). But yeah, if I could guarantee we’d get pregnant next month, I’d hold off this month. I’d follow my OB/GYN’s directive, I’d finish up this round of medication. I’d wait. But, I can’t. I can’t guarantee that. And I don’t think I could stand it if we waited and then I didn’t get pregnant.
So… I guess I’m saying we’re trying again. Now. Cross your fingers for us!